Big, BIG mistake...
You can see the starting of the black blob of doom in the left hand photo. You can also see my distinct "I'm so glad I..." look. Don't worry, we also updated the drapery during this little project, and the wood panelling, and the door, and...I'll show you later.
I thought to myself,
- What are you trying to accomplish with this renovation?
- Replace damage, structural or code issues, a simple face lift, modernization, preparation for a property sale, a complete gut to up date everything (electrical, plumbing, insulation)?
- The reason will substantially effect your timeline, expertise involved, materials and ultimately COST.
- Is this a place to rest and relax, to get work done, to be a family space, warm, cozy, modern, clean?
- This is often where I put most of my time when planning a new room or home.
- THE FEEL
- This directs the choice of materials, textures, colours, functionality.
- When trying to figure out what type of vehicle to purchase, my dad always says "Consider what you will be doing with the vehicle 90% of the time? Buy that vehicle."
- I'd like a truck, but do I need a truck? Not if I drive to work, get groceries, commute to the city but do a renovation once every two to three years. I can borrow or rent a truck. Heck, buy a utility trailer (better mileage).
- The same applies to a room. Do I need to plan on entertaining large groups, cuddling up watching movies, reading, doing work/homework, sleeping etc, some or all of the above
- This then begins to give you guidance into your materials and budget. You don't necessarily want to lay down $8.00/sq ft dark hardwood if you have a couple of toddlers and a dog.
- Tip of the Day: If you want to keep that floor looking as good as new, save the investment to when they no longer drop EVERYTHING!!! PS: My wife thinks I need to let go of that one...
Subscribe to stay up to date on the most recent blogs as they roll out.
Any questions don't hesitate to ask. Join us on Facebook @ facebook.com/groups/stridelighting/ to join in on more helpful information, support and discussion on home lighting.
Visit us at www.stridelighting.com.