Renos - Where to Start #5 Create Effective Lighting
- If you think of an entrance area, these are often lite by ambient lighting. Usually a ceiling pendant or flush mount fixture of some sort.
- These types of fixtures usually have a substantial shade, designed to diffuse the light creating ambiance and to highlight the fixture itself. This Gwen pendent is designed to bring attention to fixture itself while giving you some functional light.
- This type of lighting allows you to navigate the room with general lighting but adds to the style and decor of the room
- Ambient lighting is suitable for:
- ceiling lights in bedrooms, boot rooms, entrances
- outdoor lighting
- dinning rooms chandeliers/pendants
- general kitchen lighting
- Task lighting purpose is to provided specific lighting to one location for a specific task.
- Depending on the room and your needs, you will often have multiple sources of task lighting in the form of floor lamps, table lamps, spot lights, over head lights, pendants and chandeliers. Having a floor lamp, such as this Gode Floor Lamp behind your favorite chair can provide the needed light to sit and relax for hours on end.
- This can be a bedside table light, under cabinet lighting, office desk lamp etc. in order to give you the light needed to read, work etc.
- Pendants and chandeliers, depending on the design, can provide a certain amount of task lighting for a kitchen/dining room table. In our small house, the kitchen table is home to homework, crafts, fine dinning, etc so the light fixture of choice is important for us to consider.
|Gode Tiffany Floor Lamp|
- A strictly ambient light fixture will limit the use of this area. So a fixture such as this can provide multiple roles. The down shades will cast light directly below for task lighting but also provides ambient light with the opaque glass shades.
|Belle Tiffany Mini Chandelier|
3. Accent Lighting - Highlights.
- Accent lights are where you get to have some fun and highlight the unique nature of your rooms.
- Accent lighting most often is in the form of spot lights, track lighting, in cabinet lighting, back lighting and wall sconces.
- Some of the easiest ways to create a beautiful accent light is with wall sconces. These can flank a seating area or hearth and can cast light upward along the wall and the ceiling creating a beautiful indirect light that adds shape and form in the room.
- Track lighting or spot lights can focus on pieces of artwork or unique features in the room such as a fireplace.
- This is where you can truly define a rooms purpose and feel.
Any questions don't hesitate to ask. Join us on Facebook @ facebook.com/groups/stridelighting/ to join in on more helpful information, support and discussion on home lighting.
Subscribe to stay up to date on the most recent blogs as they roll out. Visit us at www.stridelighting.com.